Note: Online video interviewing and/or teleconferencing interviews will be available during this time of social distancing due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Community Living Worker
We are currently recruiting for a Community Living Worker to join our team. These are casual positions. This is a great opportunity for you to work collaboratively with a team built around the needs of the person supported.
As a Community Living Worker, you will be making a difference in someone’s life. Our agency is actively involved in the community so that the people we support have their best opportunities. Your role can vary from helping with life skills and personal care to assisting with employment or volunteer choices. Your work will be one-on-one for the most part but you will contribute to a team where everyone benefits from shared experiences. There are a variety of employment options as a Community Living Worker and opportunities to grow quickly within the organization.
The role of Community Living Worker begins as a casual position and can move quickly into regular shifts, part-time and full-time positions.
- Being committed to an important role in the lives of people who rely on CLUOV for support
- Helping individuals with intellectual disabilities to make their own decisions and build confidence
- Promoting an individual’s well-being through personal care, medication management and other life skills
- Always working in a safe manner
- Communicating regularly with individuals, families, community members and CLUOV
- Proactively contributing to the CLUOV team to make the organization the best it can be
- Being committed to a work schedule that provides the best outcomes for individuals being supported
The Community Living Worker will benefit from having skills that include patience, calmness in difficult situations and problem-solving abilities. The ability to help an individual become comfortable in advocating for themselves is an important part of this position. In short, you need to be a positive role model. In addition, the following will help you achieve success in this position:
- Post-secondary education in the field of human services (i.e. developmental services worker, social service worker, nursing); or a combination of education and experience that supports your application in this role
- Experience supporting individuals with intellectual disabilities is a definite asset, though we provide extensive orientation and training for this position
- Experience with supporting individuals in other ways (i.e. ageing parents) is an asset to this position
- Valid driver’s licence and a reliable vehicle
- Current certifications: First Aid, CPR, criminal record check (with vulnerable sector screening)
- Comfortable being part of a team and contributing to making our agency the best it can be
- Bilingualism is an asset
While this position begins as a casual one, once permanent employment is achieved, in addition to a competitive salary, employees start with three weeks of vacation, a very generous benefits package (OMERS pension plan, dental, health, etc.) At every stage in your employment with Community Living, we offer a supportive work environment from colleagues to key management roles. We also provide access to third-party, unlimited counselling services for employees and their family members at no charge. This is a positive and collaborative CUPE unionized workplace.
When you join Community Living Upper Ottawa Valley, you will be part of an agency that is a leader in our province in terms of inclusion. We are often the agency that helps others move forward, and we share our best practices regularly with organizations around Ontario and throughout Canada. We are accredited (with distinction) through The Council on Quality and Leadership and our staff have helped us become recognized with several awards locally, provincially and within our industry worldwide.
Community Living Upper Ottawa Valley is committed to developing an inclusive, barrier-free selection process and work environment. If contacted in relation to the selection process, please advise human resources of accommodation needs to enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner.
Please send your resume in MS Word or PDF format to Christian Rattray, Human Resources Generalist at firstname.lastname@example.org.